Wednesday, May 26, 2010

End of Term Reflection

This term was a challenging term but one that I learned a lot about my abilities and the way I approach and think about my artwork. For my theme I would base all my projects around I chose Identity. I worked with both a more personal interpretation of the theme, and a broader interpretation. For my Note cards I chose broad and personal aspects of Identity to work with. When doing the images from images project I used a lot of the methods that I had worked with in mixed media last term. After having taken that class my mindset has changed. When approaching a new art work I don't think to just use pencil or just use paper, I see all the different medias working together to make new textures. I also used some cutting paper methods from last term. For my symbolic still life I decided to paint 3 masks. This was my most challenging project, but the one that I learned the most from. Per usual, I began by sketches on newsprint, I didn't use my sketch book for brainstorming, I worked better on the newsprint. Getting started was tough. But after deciding to just get paint on the canvas I was able to get started with shaping and shading the masks. With this project I was able to let go a little bit and move forward with out a full plan. This is still a challenge for me but doing this painting helped me realize that not only did I really enjoy painting, but I was better than I thought I would be.
This class was a bit of a challenge after having taken mixed media because I was just starting to feel a little comfortable with the freedom of ideas and materials and then in this class it was more concept based.
I still have to work on motivating myself to get work done, and being able to try new things with out a firm plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment